I’ve started 9 startups in the last 3 years. 1 has closed shop (ouch!), 8 are doing anywhere from good to great.
在过去的 3 年里，我创办了 9 家初创公司。1 家已经关门了（哎哟！），8 家发展顺利。
Here is what you need to do…
- Find a space that is growing. If you know the space very well, that’s a big bonus.
- Think of an idea in that fast-growing space. Don’t think too hard, and definitely don’t let procrastination slow you down because your idea won’t work anyway.
- Get access to at least US$20k. This should give you enough to build a basic product to test your idea. Get a job and save up, convince your parents, get friendly with your rich uncle. Whatever.
至少有 20,000 美元。这应该足以让你构建一个基本产品来测试你的点子。找份工作存钱，说服你的父母，和你有钱的叔叔友好相处。等等。
- Find some co-founders. This is hard as humans, by nature, are chickens, so if you fail here, get some staff instead and co-founders may come later.
- Launch a basic version of your app/website. Note it will be 2-3 times over-budget and way behind schedule.
启动你的应用/网站的基本版本。请注意，这将超出预算 2-3 倍，并且远远落后于计划。
- Learn what your customers want, and make adjustments. Keep doing this for months, after which your business model will have changed significantly from where it was at 2.
了解客户的需求并做出调整。继续这样做几个月，之后你的商业模式将与 2 时发生显着变化。
- Get some traction, hopefully before you run out of your US$20k.
希望在你用完 2 万美元之前，获得一些支持。
- Raise more money on the back of your traction.
- Work your balls off for 5–10 years.
工作 5 到 10 年。
- Don’t forget to thank me!
The biggest mistake people make is they think they need some great idea at the outset, and that stops them from starting.